Thursday, March 4, 2010

No Body Ever Said it was Going to be Easy

Work is just awful right now.  My brother and I own a commercial construction company and well there's nothing to do.  I mean no one is building anything.  There are a few jobs out there but they are going for so little money that we would go broke even trying to do the work for those crazy prices.  So what do you do, worry.

How do you change the economy?  How can I make the banks loan more money so that developers will start to build again?   How can I get the state to build more schools when the budget is undefunded by billions?  Answer to all of these questions is that I can't.  So what can I do to effect my own destiny?  Stay positive.

I have a lovely healthy family.  I'm still in my home and we have food on the table every night.  I can be thankful for what I have.  I don't have any major bills or debts other than the mortgage.  I have a supportive extended family and all of the members of that extended family are well.  We have so much more than others in the country and in this world.  We are blessed. 

I can be thankful for having a strong and healthy body and I can do everything that I can to take care of that body.  I can watch what I eat and understand that everything that goes in my mouth effects my entire body.  I can run and swim and bike and they are all free activities.  I can lift at the gym and feel my body getting stronger every day.  I can take my children to the gym and teach them that keeping their bodies strong and healthy is as important as going to school and working their brains.  I can work with my kids on their swimming technique.  I can coach little kid soccer.  I can do all of this for no money other than the monthly gym fees.

I can not want.  I can understand the difference between my needs and my wants.  I can understand that I really don't need anything.  I have enough clothes to last me for years before they actually wear out from use.  The radio is free.   I don't need any new electronics or gadgets.  I need food.  I need shelter.  I need to spend quality time with my family.  I need to spend the day at the public beach with my family next to the house.  I need to take the kids on a hike through the park.  I need to teach my four year old little girl how to kick the soccer ball.  I need to spend a week this summer in the national park backpacking with the boys.  I need to teach the how wonderful the outdoors can be.  I need to enjoy what I have and what God has already provided me.

No body ever said that life was going to be easy.  It's like a really great hard long run,  some parts are smooth and easy, some parts are uphill, some parts really heart and you just want to quit, but when your done, you know you are stronger and better for the work and effort that went into the journey.

1 comment:

Junie B said...

first off thanks for posting on my blog and you are right...on that many have missed a start, and also that we arent getting paid to do what we do? and why the hekc not i ask!?!?! :)

second of all, thanks for this post...ive been 'wanting something'...i dont know what, but SOMEthing...and you just reminded me that i dont need a darn thing...other than food on my table and a roof over my head...oh and shoes...i need shoes at least for running :o)