Thursday, July 24, 2008

Lost and Found

I guess I got lost that must be why I haven't been posting for a while. Nah. Really I've just been so busy with all of the summer time activities that I just haven't had much time to write anything. Summer is half way over and it has been a blast.

My two boys have been swimming on the neighborhood swim team this summer and I really have enjoyed working the meets. I trained as a stroke an dturn judge and worked almost every meet. I really learned a lot about swimming stokes this year. It's also amazing at how much you can learn while watching kids swim for 3 hours twice a week. I have been amazed at how much my kids have improved during the summer. My 5 year old couldn't swim 25 yards in June and now he has a decent looking freestyle stroke and can swim a 50 without stopping.

My training has been going very well during the last few weeks. I have really upped my mileage and it really seems to help. It's still been hard for me to run every day, life always gets in the middle but that's OK. My running is important to me but not as important as my family and my work. Running is a part of me, not who I am.

The weather has been very hot here the last few days. It has really affected my nutrition while running. This has forced me to really examine how I have been fueling and replacing my electrolytes. One thing that I have learned is that marathoners think they know nutrition but that Triathletes really know nutrition. I mean it's one thing to fuel during a 3 1/2 hour marathon, but it's one a whole new level to fuel for a 10 hour marathon. So, I've been studing alot about tri fueling and what the top tri guys use. Someone put me onto Hammer Nutrition products. I ordered a few things last week and we are going to give them a try.

Several weeks ago I rode my bike with the guys on a long 57 mile ride. It was great! It didn't take but 3 1/4 hours and the effort wasn't that bad. Since then I have rode the "loop" 2 more times and I am scheduled to ride it again this weekend. On these long rides fueling really is important and I am startingto get the right prescription dialed in. One of the best things about the bike is that I get a great cardio workout without killing my legs. My quads hurt some the next day but usually after a couple of miles of slow running I'm good to go.

The biggest improvement that I have noticed is my recovery rates. Last year after a 20 miler I would hurt for several days and be wiped out. After increasing my mileage if I run 20 miles Sunday on Monday I'm good for another 8 miles. Instead of my muscles hurting it seems that my energy levels are what is holding me back. If I have 3 hard days in a row I will be wiped out on the 4th and usually end up skipping a day. Getting enough of the right type of calories to keep my energy levels up is as much work as training. I'm learning a lot and I guess that's what makes the whole thing so much fun.

No comments: