Monday, June 23, 2008

Messing with a Man's Masculinity

In high school they used to call me Chicken because I had chicken legs. You know lean long runners legs. Well all those guys are fat as hell now and I'm 163 lbs at 5'11. But I digress. It's summer and I am working out one or two times a day and sweating like Frosty the Snowman in Hades. I have hairy legs and man are they breaking out. Now that I'm a "Triathlete" I have toyed with the idea of shaving my legs but I just can't bring myself to do it. I mean, I have zero fat on my legs but shaving them is just crossing some imaginary man line.

So I go to the gym and pull off my jeans and there I am with these shaved legs. What do you do or say. I mean where do you stop shaving. It looks like a lot of work to keep them shaved and damn, I feel like I am always in the shower anyway with all of these workouts. I mean chick stubble is one thing but man stubble is just bad. I think I'm going to be sick just writing about this. See writing this stupid stuff sometimes help work the answer to the problem out. When I start placing in my age group I'll think about shaving my legs. Until then I'll just have to deal with breaking out.

Training - Saturday I went on a 30 mile bike ride with 3 other guys instead of a 6 mile easy day. It was a great ride and we went out pretty hard. Nobody every says that they are tired or hurting during the workout but talking to some of the wives later that day I found out that they were all spent that night. "All he did was lay on the couch. You guys must have went out really hard yesterday." Yea as hard as I could.

Sunday was scheduled to be a 17 mile long run. I was supposed to go at a nice easy pace. I received an email from my buddies that they would be running 3 miles easy, a one mile time trial hard, and three miles easy for 7 miles total. Perfect, I could run down to the waterfront to meet them and back and tack on 7 more miles. I could find 3 more miles somewhere and have my 17.

Well, I guess I miscalculated the distance to the waterfront and had to running a lot harder than I wanted to so that I wouldn't be late. Mistake #1. Then the 3 mile easy warm-up became a hard 3 mile test of manhood after the bike ride on Sunday. The one mile time trial was where I was supposed to let them go and show some maturity. I must be a child because after the first quarter I was at an all out sprint and finished around 6:45, and this mile had some big hills to boot. The last 3 miles was easy because the guys were spent by now but I still had to run home. The 3 1/2 miles home were rough because it was getting hot by now and all I had was Gu and water. I needed some electrolytes but there were none anywhere. I made it home but paid for it all day. I was tired and worn out all day.

Lesson learned. If you want to be successful, find a good plan and stick to the plan. By running like an idiot yesterday I missed my mileage goal and am so tired and beat today that I probably won't run today. If you go out to hard one day it could affect you for multiple days and cause more harm than good. Steady work wins the race. Every workout should have a purpose and you have to stick to that purpose.

1 comment:

Brett Skyllingstad said...

Yorktown,

I just recently shaved my legs and arms, it was before a sprint race that I actually won my age group. I had a hard time sucking it up and doing it but once I did I kind of like it. It feels really smooth on the bike and in the pool. Its not much more work than shaving your face. I usually do it once or twice a week. Don't worry about what others will say, no one has said anything to me about it.... I actually think most girls probably like it too.